The program focuses on the stories behind some of the biggest corporate and white collar crimes in the United States such as WorldCom, HealthSouth and Tyco. In addition, stories about more common crimes such as insurance fraud, murder, embezzlement, art theft, Ponzi schemes, credit card fraud, bank robbery, money laundering, identity theft, and medical fraud are also featured. Other topics have included the story behind the famous Mustang Ranch in Nevada and the rise and fall of boy band impresario Lou Pearlman. American Greed is narrated by veteran actor Stacey Keach.
Joel Greenberg is a privileged millennial from a rich Florida family who one day decides to run for Seminole County Tax Collector and wins; once in office, he embarks on a breathtaking series of crimes, ranging from fraud to sex trafficking.
Jho Low is accused of being one of the biggest thieves the world has ever seen; authorities say he's the mastermind of an international scheme to steal over $4 billion from the government of Malaysia.
(1) A sting operation brings down a Denver businessman (2) A charismatic con man uses the promise of huge returns to put $30 million in his own pocket.
Financier Martin Frankel, a con-man who vanished with $200 million dollars! A story of money laundering, prostitution, bizarre sex and drug abuse.
(1) A small-town comptroller steals $53 million to fund a horse-breeding empire. (2) A crooked real estate developer lures victims to his phony residential oasis.
He’s dubbed Long Island, New York’s “Mini-Madoff.” Nicholas Cosmo promised huge returns on booming real estate opportunities. He brought white-collar crime to blue-collar Americans and scammed thousands of trusting investors.
(1) Larry Salander is one of the biggest names in New York’s art world. But collectors see red when he swipes more than $100 million from their pockets. (2) Stefan Wilson says his investment fund is a sure-fire winner. Investors even mortgage their homes to join his fund. But business with Wilson comes at a very high price.
(1) Two brothers ripped off millions from homeowners in a remodeling scheme. (2) A serial scam artist tricks Florida retirees into fake New York real estate investments.
An attractive, sinfully dishonest Tampa mortgage broker meets a single mom looking for love. Together they team up and make millions in the real estate market. In a tell-all exclusive interview, Matt Cox and Rebecca Hauck explain how lust and greed are a hot combination for fraud.
(1) A dark night. A clever plan. $300 million in art is stolen from a Boston museum. Paintings by Rembrandt, Vermeer and Manuet disappear into the night! (2) He's a man of faith and his name is Abraham Kennard. But this pastor preys on his flock. Trusting Christians from small, struggling churches who are hoping to better their communities hand over their savings to this pastor. But instead, as many as 1600 churches nationwide are swindled out of $10 million.
Carlos Perez-Olivo is a successful lawyer with a silver tongue and solid gold taste. But when he’s disbarred for fleecing desperate clients, he finds another way to make money…and proves how greed really is a deadly sin. American Greed profiles the story of murder for money.
An outlandish con artist poses as a Saudi royal to cheat investors out of millions by promising them access to Arabian oil stock; from his penthouse on Fisher Island, phony sultan Khalid Bin Al-Saud lures victims with dreams of untold riches.Watch Now:iTunes
Perry Griggs ran an investment fraud claiming to sell coffee futures, when all he did was keep investor money. He was convicted of securities fraud and sentenced to eight years in federal prison. While in prison, he started yet another scam.
(1) Greater Ministries International founder Gerald Payne has a plan for the faithful to gift the church and double their money. American Greed profiles one of the most lucrative pyramid schemes in history. (2) A thief leads a double life. By day, he's a property manager; by night, a cat burglar who executed some of the most daring jewel heists in American history!Watch Now:iTunes
(1) The Sandhogs Local 147, a New York City construction union, whose workers build tunnels and underground passageways, entrusts Melissa King for overseeing union benefits to ensure their retirements. Instead, King uses the workers funds to cut herself checks to the tune of $42 million. (2) Carl Estep is a smooth-talking ladies-man who looks for love and money, all to fund his phony gold scheme. The Montana conman spins tales of riches saying that he has hundreds of 55 gallon drums filled with 'gold concentrate' and all he needs is cash to pay for refining the gold ore to make millions. But the only thing in those drums is dirt.
A story of deception. They appear to be two “grannies” helping men who are down on their luck - offering food, shelter and clothing. But Helen Golay and her friend Olga Rutterschmidt are ruthless con artists. Their tragic web of deceit is about to unravel. This is the true tale of women who murder for money. The story of The Black Widows…only on American Greed!
(1) It's a new crime wave rippling across the west; thieves are committing identity theft to fund their meth drug addictions. Victims are robbed. But the thief takes more than money, the victim's identity is stolen, too. (2) Wheaton, Illinois - considered a nice place to raise a family. But a shadow hangs over this affluent Chicago suburb. A serial bank robber is armed and ready for a fight.Watch Now:iTunes
With a 30 year career in real estate, many thought broker Doug Vaughan was a man to be trusted. His charisma helped make him a fortune in New Mexico real estate. But it was all lies.
(1) A museum quality art collection worth more than $4 million dollars is stolen! Two men, who in a twist of fate, end up working at Fine Arts Express, together hatch a plan to steal the art… museum quality pieces by Picasso, Matisse, and Rothko. (2) It sounds like a nightmare - long needles repeatedly jabbed to a patient’s back. But for Dr. Jorge Martinez, it's routine business. Expensive, painful and unnecessary shots are all part of a multi-million dollar billing scheme.Watch Now:iTunes
A painkiller business in Florida turns twin brothers into millionaires.Watch Now:iTunes
Multi-millionaire businessmen and brothers Andrew and Robert Kissel have it all...beautiful families, mansions, country clubs, and fast cars. They appear to live charmed lives. But, the Kissel brothers’ good fortune runs out and ends in murder. Who would want them dead?
(1) A shocking scheme to use strippers to solicit information from Wall Street bankers. Another plan to steal secrets and cash in on stock that's about to soar. Two young traders, David Pajcin and Eugene Plotkin, are the masterminds behind a complex Wall Street con. (2) Al Parish: An economics professor. A trusted financial advisor. A genius. But the self-proclaimed "Economan" is the suspected mastermind behind an $80 million investment scam.
(1) The Baptist Foundation of Arizona is a non-profit fundraiser dedicated to the church. Investors believe their money will be secure but millions are lost! “American Greed" unravels the elaborate Ponzi scheme which left a religious community betrayed and baffled. (2) The story of a murderous Chicago doctor who bilked Medicare! He’s a caring doctor with a sterling bedside manner. His practice is lucrative. But beneath the charm lies a con artist; a doctor playing the system and making off with more than a million.Watch Now:iTunes
(1) A major charity scam...John Bennett's "Foundation for New Era Philanthropy" stole millions of dollars from unsuspecting patrons. A story of deception, theft and "American Greed." (2) Eric Stein, mastermind of one of the largest Ponzi schemes in Nevada history, cost his victims nearly $34 million dollars.
(1) A religious man leads a deceptive life and scams investors out of more than $600 million! The rise and fall of Scientologist minister Reed Slatkin is a story of "American Greed." (2) Enter the mysterious world of art fraud. An elaborate sting operation exposes Dr. Vilas Likhite, a doctor stripped of his medical license who begins a new career as a con man selling fake art treasures!